Friday 14 August 2015

Jennie On The Kitchen Front - Chocolate Rocks

Hullo!

Welcome to the first installment of my new cookery feature, here on the old bloglette.
I'll be rummaging through my wartime magazines and testing the recipes, before writing them up here.
I won't be changing the sugar/fat quantities, but I will be providing suitable alternatives where it's needed - Such as using baking fat instead of lard for us veggies, and using fresh eggs when the original recipe calls for reconstituted dried egg, though I will say if dried egg is mentioned.

So let's get started. Here is the first recipe, 

Chocolate Rocks from 1943

Makes 16

1/2 lb Flour (plain)
Pinch of Salt
1 Heaped teaspoonful Baking Powder
3 ozs fat - half and half margarine and lard/baking fat
3 ozs Sugar
1 Tablespoonful Cocoa
1 egg (or one reconstituted dried egg)
A little milk
Vanilla Essence (optional)
-----------
Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa.

Rub in fat.



Add sugar.

Mix to a stiff dough with the egg and a little milk, about 3 Tablespoonfuls. Add vanilla (if using).



Place mixture in 16 small heaps on the greased baking sheet (I use baking paper on a tray).



Bake in a quick oven, gas mark 7 (220 C / 425 F) for 15-20 minutes.



Personally I think these are a nice mid-morning treat with a cup of tea, and not too greedy on the fat and sugar ration. I hope you'd enjoyed the first recipe, do tell me if you try them out and also if there's anything in particular you'd like to see a recipe for.

Until next time,

Jennie

P.S. Apologies for the photos, the big bad black cloud was coming over fast when I was making these!

No comments:

Post a Comment