Monday 27 February 2012

Let's Make A Date In Our Notebook

First thing first - The weight of the 1949 Really Charming jumper is 6 oz, making Brittany's guess of 5.5 oz the closest. I can't believe how much wool it took, I'm feeling a bit cheated by the promise of it only taking 4 oz... never mind

But moving on from that is this cardi. Beautifully named the Date Maker, from 1946. I made this one up in red wool, which cost me just £1... I found a jumper on a £1 rail in a charity shop, the cable work was fantastic, but it was one of the most shapeless jumpers I've ever seen - So I bought it knowing something could be done, in the end, unrunning it was the best option.



I'm afraid I'm only doing "on the hanger" snaps right now, I'm in no mood for posing. It does look better on... I promise!

Any fans of "The Notebook" may recognise this one too, Ally wears a red Date Maker on her first date with Noah...

Awful snap, but just look at her cardi!
The buckle I was going to use was half the size required, but then I found this creamy one along with a black one in a chairty shop for 20p... 20p for two! I'm not sure whether to replace it at some point, we'll see how it goes.

If you too would like to knit a Date Maker, the pattern is available here, for free!

I'd better say my good-bye for now, work to do, tea to drink!

Good-Bye

Jennie xx

4 comments:

  1. omg! I just made this same sweater in mustard!! I just have to crochet up the front and crochet the buckle and I'm done! :) Yours is gorgeous in red. I've seen The Notebook a million times and never realized that she was wearing one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful! I'm so happy to see people knitting up this pattern! Long ago I bought some bright red yarn to knit it in, so we may match if I ever get around to knitting it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow its fabulous! I can believe it only cost £1 that's a total bargain, I think the buckle looks perfect! I've never seen the note book but I am definitely going to have to track it down, if just for the cardy! :) x

    ReplyDelete