Monday 10 January 2011

Black Cloud

Oh my, is it really the 10th of January? I have some rather awful news, so I'll cover that, then mention some of the lighter, happier things to try and have an even post...

After all the fuss about the snow, it cleared just enough for my Brother to make his way over on Christmas morning, so there was a bit of a last minute panic, but it was a rather nice Christmas. Then on Boxing Day, our beloved cat, George, spent the afternoon being sick - It was horrific for us, so I can't imagine how he felt. A few days later and he just didn't seem right, so a trip to the vets later and we're all in tears - His kidneys are failing and he doesn't have long left with us. As he isn't in too much pain and still has a purr, it was decided to bring him home and try our best to make him comfortable.
As awful as this might sound, we've all had a painful wish for him to be taken in his sleep. No one wants to make the decision to call the vet, maybe this is us wanting to opt out of our responsibility of a pet owner, but how do you know when he's done fighting?
He's the longest surviving cat we've ever had, most of our previous cats have passed before they're 6, George is about 19 years old, and he's been with us since he was about 1 - But he's not just a cat to us, he's a Brother to me and a furry child to my parents. I'm sure you're suggesting we're a mad cat-loving family, and you'd be right.


George (2009)
 I don't feel much like chatting now I've written that, but I quickly mention: I had some lovely presents for Christmas. Then I had a lovely second Christmas on the 2nd January at my Grans and Grandad's, which was also my Birthday. My Gran made an apple crumble, which was sublime.

I'd planned to start my new blogging regime on the 3rd, but I'm afraid I just haven't had resolve to do this. My plan for this year was 3 posts a week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will have outfit posts once a week, along with crafty goodness and something else, which I haven't thought up yet. Obviously, if something happens in the meantime, I might need a little more time away from the internet.

Oh, and before I forget, thank you for following me. Everyone who's remained, even when there's silence from me, and my new followers who have joined over the past few festive weeks. It's means a great deal to me, and before I get all soppy, I'll go - I still haven't taken down my pink Christmas tree...

Take Care

Jenny xx

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny :( So sorry to hear about George. What a beauty, especially considering his age in the photo must be - what? - 17?

    I think you and your family know that you may have to make that decision at some point, but I have to say there is something awful about "putting it in the diary" so to speak, which is what you would have to potentially do at the moment.

    Then again - it might be kinder to have the vet come to your home and do it when you know the time is right. Kidney failure would be a horrid way to go if he is not in his sleep. I hope that he will be. What did the vet say re life expectency?

    I don't think your cat mad at all. Well - if you are , then I am too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* I'm so sorry! It's so hard to have to make a decision like that for a fur family member and to watch them in pain. Take as much time as you need, I know I'll still be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry to hear about George, he looks like a lovely chap. They become like a part of the family. But at least you've had him for a long old time. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. O Jenny i am sorry to read your post i had a huge lump in my throat. Cats are very special animals and such free spirits. And when the time comes his spirit will be flying free but the memories will remain with you. Huge hugs to you and your family. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, what a pants way to end Christmas and to start the New Year for you, your family, and of course George. I was distraught when my goldfish George (of seven years) was ill, so I can only begin to imagine how you must be feeling at the moment…Sending lots of love and hugs to you miss.
    Tups x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about George, he's gorgeous. I'm a big cat lover and lost my 2 cats two years ago so I know how you feel. Give George a big hug from me and take one day at a time, keep smiling, Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jenny, I found my way to your lovely place whilst bloghopping. And I saw your dear old George. A few months ago, I kind of had the same nervewrecking decision to make for my ancient dog of 17. Oh boy, I wish you lots of courage and maybe he will stay on just a little longer.

    ReplyDelete